Intro to Rock Climbing
Level: Beginner Instructional Climbing Course
Locations: Revelstoke / Skaha / Squamish
2 - Days
This is the perfect course for anyone wanting to get into the exhilarating sport of rock climbing. Perhaps you've climbed a few times at a climbing gym, or gone bouldering or top-roping with friends once or twice. But now you are ready to learn solid and safe foundational climbing skills. so you can be a competent partner to more experienced climbers. Never climbed? This is where you belong, too.
During our two days together we will introduce you to the fundamentals of climbing. From risk management at the crag, to understanding the equipment we will be using and its strengths, to how to belay and set up anchor systems. We will also have a lot of fun climbing and developing climbing techniques.
Rates & Details:
Ratio: Min 2 / Max 6 (w/ 2nd guide)
Itinerary: 8:30am - 4:30pm
**Must be an experienced indoor / outdoor climber who can comfortably climb 5.8 - 5.9, has basic top-rope anchor skills.
At the end of the course participants will have the skills to safely lead single-pitch bolt-protected rock climbs on their own.
Day 1: Intro to lead climbing
- Warm-up climbing & movement skills.
- Review of climbing fundamentals: gear strength & proper use of all gear, climbing movement, top-rope belaying, & top-rope anchor set up & evaluation.
- Anchor construction and cleaning.
- Guide Books and route strategy for safe successful lead climbing.
- Methods of clipping.
- Lead climbing theory: forces, strategy, falling & belaying.
- Practice leads until comfortable with lead-climbing including cleaning an anchor.
- Real leads - with a guide on an adjacent rope to observe, coach and ensure safety.
- Day 2: Developing lead techniques
- Additional lead-climbing to practice and build confidence.
- More work on lead climbing strategy, learning to fall (it can be fun!), managing anxiety / stress, and how to handle tricky situations (i.e. learning the beautiful skill of "french-freeing").
- Top belaying, multi-pitch climbing, and repelling.
- Rappelling, cleaning anchors, and simple rescue / problem solving.
- Escaping a belay.
Optional - Add a 3rd Day for multi-pitch climbing
- Consider extending your climbing course by adding a 3rd day for integrating the skills learned into a multi-pitch climbing adventure. Prices start at $500 / day for 1 pax OR $285 per person for 2. Max 2 people.