Learn to Lead - Bolted Rock Climbs
Level: Intermediate Instructional Climbing Course
Locations: Revelstoke / Skaha /Squamish
2 - Days
Take your climbing to the next level by learning to safely lead climb bolted sport routes. Learning to lead climb is the most important step you will take in your climbing career. Learn safely and confidently.
This 2-day course is the perfect next step for your climbing.
This course is designed for people who already have some indoor climbing, bouldering or outdoor climbing experience and want to take their climbing to the next level. This course will help you build the confidence to become an independent lead climber.
Rates & Details:
Ratio: Min 2 / Max 6 (w/ 2nd guide)
Itinerary: 8:30am - 4:30pm
**Must be an experienced indoor / outdoor climber who can comfortably climb 5.8 - 5.9, has basic top-rope anchor skills.
At the end of the course participants will have the skills to safely lead single-pitch bolt-protected rock climbs on their own.
Day 1: Intro to lead climbing
- Warm-up climbing & movement skills.
- Review of climbing fundamentals: gear strength & proper use of all gear, climbing movement, top-rope belaying, & top-rope anchor set up & evaluation.
- Anchor construction and cleaning.
- Guide Books and route strategy for safe successful lead climbing.
- Methods of clipping.
- Lead climbing theory: forces, strategy, falling & belaying.
- Practice leads until comfortable with lead-climbing including cleaning an anchor.
- Real leads - with a guide on an adjacent rope to observe, coach and ensure safety.
- Day 2: Developing lead techniques
- Additional lead-climbing to practice and build confidence.
- More work on lead climbing strategy, learning to fall (it can be fun!), managing anxiety / stress, and how to handle tricky situations (i.e. learning the beautiful skill of "french-freeing").
- Top belaying, multi-pitch climbing, and repelling.
- Rappelling, cleaning anchors, and simple rescue / problem solving.
- Escaping a belay.
Optional - Add a 3rd Day for multi-pitch climbing
- Consider extending your climbing course by adding a 3rd day for integrating the skills learned into a multi-pitch climbing adventure. Prices start at $500 / day for 1 pax OR $285 per person for 2. Max 2 people.