Intro to Rock Climbing
Instructional Climbing Course
Revelstoke / Skaha / Squamish
2 - Days
This is the perfect course for anyone wanting to get into the exhilarating sport of rock climbing. Perhaps you've climbed a few times at a climbing gym, or gone bouldering or top-roping with friends. But now you are ready to learn solid and safe foundational climbing skills. so you can be a competent partner to more experienced climbers.
We will mix the fun of climbing movement with learning the foundational skills you need to become an independent top-rope climber.
Rates & Details:
Ratio: Min 2 / Max 6
Itinerary: 8:30am - 4:30pm
**Must be an experienced indoor / outdoor climber who can comfortably climb 5.8 - 5.9, has basic lead-climbing skills & can build solid top-rope anchors.
At the end of the course participants will have the skills to safely lead single-pitch rock climbs on their own & be a strong partner cleaning multi-pitch routes.
Day 1: Intro to traditional lead climbing
- Hazard management at the crag or multi-pitch face.
- Warm-up trad climbing & movement skills.
- Gear placement, evaluation and removal.
- Lead climbing strategy, forces, falling and belaying.
- Multi-directional anchor construction.
- Lead climbing theory: forces, strategy, falling & belaying.
- Practice leads until comfortable with lead-climbing
- Real leads - with guide evaluation of gear.
- Day 2: Developing lead techniques
- Additional lead-climbing to practice and build confidence.
- More work on lead climbing strategy, learning to fall (it can be fun!), managing anxiety / stress, and how to handle tricky situations (i.e. learning the beautiful skill of "french-freeing").
- Top belaying, multi-pitch climbing, and repelling.
- Rappelling, cleaning anchors, and simple rescue / problem solving.
- Escaping a belay.
Optional - Add a 3rd Day for multi-pitch climbing
- Consider extending your climbing course by adding a 3rd day for integrating the skills learned into a multi-pitch climbing adventure.
Prices start at $500 / day for 1 pax OR 285 per person for 2. Max 2 people.